Skip to main content

Cutting Weight

Right now I am sitting at 131 pounds. I need to be 125 in 6 weeks. Most people would think that is easy. But I like to EAT! No, I am not a binge eater. I keep mostly good, nutritious foods in our home, but I am a chronic snacker. When I am working or out and about, it's not a problem. It's when I am home and bored.


So, what means am I using to lose the weight? First off, over the past few weeks I have been using Intermittent Fasting (IF). What is that you ask? Here is a quick rundown:
  •  IF is basically a cycle of fasting and eating. For me, I find the 16 hours fast best. I don't eat anything after 8 pm. Fasting overnight is definitely the way to go. I only drink coffee and water during fasting. A LOT of  water. I find it helps with the hunger pains. My fast ends at noon.
  • How does it work? You are essentially starving your cells making stored fat more available. You cells initiate repair processes and several things happen. 
    • Human Growth Hormone increases benefiting fat loss and muscle gain.
    • Insulin levels drop making stored body fat more accessible.
    • Cellular repair is initiated where old and dysfunctional proteins are removed.  
Interested in IF? Check out this great article from Healthline for a more detailed description.

There is only a small amount of research available as IF is a fairly new concept, but most research states you can pretty much eat whatever you want when not fasting. I suggest maintaining a healthy, nutritious diet to get full benefits from IF. I am pairing it with a high protein diet similar to Keto. Though I must admit, I am not going fully Keto as my training regimen requires me to have some carbs. I try to save these until right before my workout.

Here is an article that explains the benefits of pairing IF and Keto.

So, what does a typical day of eating look like for me these days?
Lots of fats and protein for my first meal, a carb heavy snack before my workout, a healthy balanced dinner and a light snack before bed. Here is a sample:

Meal #1 at noon: Egg Scramble (2 eggs, 2 slices deli turkey, onions, bell peppers, spinach, tomato and cheese). Served with a side of avocado and almonds.

Snack around 3 pm: Green Smoothie (2 handfuls spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 2 Tbsp almond butter, 1 frozen banana, 1 Tbsp Chia seeds, 1 Tbsp ground flax).

Meal #2 at 7 pm: 5 oz Chicken, Salad with lots of veggies and proteins, broccoli.

Snack before 8: Grapefruit and protein muffin.

I am not gonna say its easy because it definitely is not. But it is doable. Stay away from processed sugars and high carb foods. And by all means, HAVE A CHEAT DAY. Mine are on Fridays. I am not saying go out and ruin everything you have worked for, but have that darn cupcake. My favorite cheat meal is a burger and fries from Five Guys. I do skip on the buns but it is still oh so worth it!

Need ideas to help get your diet cleaned up? Shoot me a message and I will hook you up!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taco, Cajun and Chili Seasoning...oh my

So, I am going to let you guys in on a little secret about me. I am a spice fanatic. I have a whole spice cabinet full of glorious spices. You name it, its probably there. The smell when I open the spice cabinet sends me into a culinary euphoria.... Sorry, I was daydreaming there. Anyways, I hate using those packaged seasonings due to the high content of MSG and other fake crap so I want to share a few of my go to seasoning recipes! These are pretty basic and easy to make. I typically double or triple the recipe to last us a while. I absolutely love these mini mason jars as they are perfect for seasonings and sauces. They are fairly cheap and you can get them at most grocery stores or Wal-Mart. Nicole's Taco Seasoning We eat a LOT of Taco style meals in our house so I typically triple this recipe. 1 Tbsp chili powder 1/4 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano 1/2 tsp paprika 1  1/2 tsp cumin 1 tsp sea salt and pepper Cajun Seasoning

The Ultimate Salad Guide

Let's be honest for a minute and talk about salads. Salads can be boring sometimes. At my house, we used to have one with dinner every...single...night. I just got burned out on them. Salads and I took a break for quite a while. When I started incorporating salads back into my meal planning, I discovered there was so much out there to give them a little kick. Before they were missing flavor and pizzazz. I played around with different types of greens and paired them with a variety of toppings. Making the perfect salad is a bit like putting together a puzzle. I did some Pinterest-ing and started experimenting. A typical rule to follow when perfecting your salad game is start with greens, add some cheese, some crunch, some flavor, meat/protein and top with dressing. Here is a  neat guide I created to get you started: There is so much more you can add, this is just a good graphic to get you started. Salads are a great way to get those pesky nutrients you may be missing th

Green Smoothie

Let's be honest. Green smoothies are great nutrition wise but some can be downright gross. Am I right? I jumped on the green smoothie bus a few years back and I have to admit it was a rough ride. Many of smoothies met their demise into the garbage disposal...but, I finally found a great, healthy option that tastes amazing! This smoothie is packed with omega-3 essential fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, protein, Vitamins B & K, and several other goodies! These are a must with this nasty cold and flu crud going around. As we speak, I have my 11 month old on my lap with a fever. Blah...its going to be a long one. Come on summer! Let me know what you think and feel free to post what you secret to the perfect green smoothie is? Thanks guys! Nicole.