Skip to main content

My Boxing Journey

Boxing. A long forgotten pastime. Did you know that boxing started sometime during Roman Era? It's true. It looked much different back then and usually ended with the death of one opponent...I think I will stick to modern day boxing!

Boxing we know today exploded during the great depression at a time when America needed it most. Known as the spectators sport, boxing became a social event for businessmen, politicians and executives. The upper class. While the rich watched it live, the lower class tuned into radios to listen. It became a sensation across the world and people looked forward to matches.

Due to the depression, fighters new and old were forced to compete for whatever purse the bout offered, which at times was nothing. Many great boxers came to light in this era: Joe Lewis, James Braddock, Gene Tunney, Henry Armstrong and many more. Since then, boxing has produced some of the greatest athletes ever known.

For me, boxing was a barbaric, gritty sport. I never gave it any mind until Levi, my coach (and husband) came into my life.

Levi started boxing competitively back in 2001 at the young age of 19. He mostly fought in smokers and brawls all across the northwest until he left Montana for the Army in 2005. He returned to Montana in 2010 with me and our newborn son, July, in tow. He met up with his old boxing coach and began volunteering with the amateur team. His coach ended up moving away and the team fizzled out. Levi, with the help of many great coaches, now runs Montana Boxing Academy in a new facility in Belgrade, MT. We have an amazing team of athletes, including my son (pictured above).

So, how did my love of boxing begin? Well I will tell you! My first boxing match was a local semi-pro smoker. It was awesome but nothing out of the ordinary. It still seemed to be a brutish sport where men fought for their machismo. Then Levi took me to watch an amateur show...

A few of the kiddos Levi had worked with in the past were on the card. I almost stayed home, but boy was I glad I didn't! The fights were so different. I found myself out of my seat the entire time, screaming at the top of my lungs! Those kiddos gave everything in the ring that day. There was so much passion and emotion in that gymnasium and I wanted to be a part of it.

I started going to Levi's adult classes soon after. I was still in college so I had a lot of free time. He trained me in the basics and I eventually became a part of the all womens' class. At the time, I was also at my peak running season so I really only boxed a couple days a week. Never really taking boxing serious, but I loved the training. Into my second year of training, I found out Levi and I would be expecting our second child, June Bug. My training halted.

You tell yourself this pregnancy will be different. I WILL be more active and exercise, but then the nausea and fatigue kicks in and all that nonsense goes out the window. Though I was a lot more active with this pregnancy, my only exercise consisted of occasional walks with my son. I still managed to gain 40 pounds and was miserable by month 8. June came and was healthy as can be. It took me a few months to bounce back and get back to training. I also jumped into helping coach and took over the womens' class. This helped me get a better understanding of the sport as I was constantly looking for new drills and ways to train. But I still felt I needed something more...

Maybe it was a mid-life crisis? Or just the need to shake the funk of the postpartum phase I was stuck in. All I knew is that I wanted to step in the ring to experience it for myself. I approached Levi and discussed what it would take to get me competition ready. My little one had just turned one. At 35 years old, I decided the time was right. Why compete you ask? How can I expect our youth to train and listen to my instruction if I have never competed before? I decided to do it for the kiddos mostly, but also for myself. Not many sports can can compare to the discipline and conditioning boxing takes. Boxers are a different breed. I mean, they KNOW they are getting punched in the face when they enter the ring and they still do it. That takes heart.

So, the next few weeks I will be blowing up the feed with my training. I am matched for June 9th at 125 pounds. My current weight is 132. Stay tuned for updates on how I plan on losing the weight and what my training will look like!

Wish me luck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taco, Cajun and Chili Seasoning...oh my

So, I am going to let you guys in on a little secret about me. I am a spice fanatic. I have a whole spice cabinet full of glorious spices. You name it, its probably there. The smell when I open the spice cabinet sends me into a culinary euphoria.... Sorry, I was daydreaming there. Anyways, I hate using those packaged seasonings due to the high content of MSG and other fake crap so I want to share a few of my go to seasoning recipes! These are pretty basic and easy to make. I typically double or triple the recipe to last us a while. I absolutely love these mini mason jars as they are perfect for seasonings and sauces. They are fairly cheap and you can get them at most grocery stores or Wal-Mart. Nicole's Taco Seasoning We eat a LOT of Taco style meals in our house so I typically triple this recipe. 1 Tbsp chili powder 1/4 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano 1/2 tsp paprika 1  1/2 tsp cumin 1 tsp sea salt and pepper Cajun Seasoning

The Ultimate Salad Guide

Let's be honest for a minute and talk about salads. Salads can be boring sometimes. At my house, we used to have one with dinner every...single...night. I just got burned out on them. Salads and I took a break for quite a while. When I started incorporating salads back into my meal planning, I discovered there was so much out there to give them a little kick. Before they were missing flavor and pizzazz. I played around with different types of greens and paired them with a variety of toppings. Making the perfect salad is a bit like putting together a puzzle. I did some Pinterest-ing and started experimenting. A typical rule to follow when perfecting your salad game is start with greens, add some cheese, some crunch, some flavor, meat/protein and top with dressing. Here is a  neat guide I created to get you started: There is so much more you can add, this is just a good graphic to get you started. Salads are a great way to get those pesky nutrients you may be missing th

Green Smoothie

Let's be honest. Green smoothies are great nutrition wise but some can be downright gross. Am I right? I jumped on the green smoothie bus a few years back and I have to admit it was a rough ride. Many of smoothies met their demise into the garbage disposal...but, I finally found a great, healthy option that tastes amazing! This smoothie is packed with omega-3 essential fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, protein, Vitamins B & K, and several other goodies! These are a must with this nasty cold and flu crud going around. As we speak, I have my 11 month old on my lap with a fever. Blah...its going to be a long one. Come on summer! Let me know what you think and feel free to post what you secret to the perfect green smoothie is? Thanks guys! Nicole.